Closely Held Business Stock
How It Works
A gift of closely held shares of stock is reviewed by UJA-Federation's gift acceptance committee. If approved, a gift could work as follows.
- Donor makes a gift of closely held stock to UJA-Federation and gets a qualified appraisal to determine its value
- Donor receives a charitable income-tax deduction for the full fair-market value of the stock
- UJA-Federation may keep the stock or offer to sell it back to donor's company at market value
- Donor receives an income-tax deduction for the fair-market value of stock
- Donor pays no capital-gain tax on any appreciation
- Donor's company may repurchase the stock, thereby keeping donor's ownership interest intact
- UJA-Federation receives a valuable gift
Which Gift Is Right for You?
William Samers, Vice President
Stanley Baumblatt, Director
Shira Hudson, Associate Director
UJA-Federation of New York
© Pentera, Inc. Planned giving content. All rights reserved.